Thursday, November 12, 2009

That's Hot: The Death of Class in the Present Generation

Ella Fitzgerald, Audrey Hephurn, Jacqueline Kennedy O'nasis--All women that embodied class and were staples of womanhood in their generation.
Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears--These are the women that we have to look up to nowadays. These are our models of womanhood, though they are hardly models of class or glamour.

It took awhile for me to fully understand class and how important it is. I blame this completely on the women of this generation that are thought of as role models. I would kill to live in the 1940's when girls looked up to Ella Fitzgerald for her outstanding demeanor and style. Instead, we see pictures of half-naked women in the tabloids and we are supposed to..what..idolize them?
This whole idea doesn't make sense to me, though it does to some girls. I guess I've always acted a certain way when it came to my body, clothes, and my whole outward show of myself. I've always been very modest, not in a prudent way, but I want people to respect me. I don't consider that to be class, but the women that are considered role models nowadays hardly respect themselves enough to be earning the respect of others.

I sometimes feel like this topic has been tired out. Like when I mention it, I transform into a mother in my mid 40's whining about how my daughter is wearing a jean skirt that I think is too short and it's all because Paris Hilton was wearing one in US Weekly today. That's not my point.
What I'm saying is that people need to stop wondering how our society got so trashy and why nobody wears pretty dresses anymore and men don't pull out the chairs for their dates when they go to dinner--who wants to pull out the chair for a trashy whore?

That might be a little extreme. But how interesting is it to think of how things would be if, instead of aiming to look like Megan Fox, girls aimed to look like Anne Hathaway or Norah Jones--classy women of this generation that would actually serve as good role models not only to girls that will be nuns when they grow up, but for all of us!

If people are unhappy with the loosely upheld standards of society nowadays, they simply need to look at the current models for society. I wonder how many girls want to be just like Lindsay Lohan when they grow up. God. The mere thought scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment