Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Skin Hates Me..But I Love Theater!

Good morning, gigantic zit on the upper right-hand corner of my chin.
I knew it would come to this, I've been packing the make-up on (Ben Nye stage make-up, it's basically paint) for four consecutive days--I knew you would lash out soon.
Oh the joys of theater. I don't consider myself an actress, but I won't ever be able to hide that part of me is a full-fledged theater kid.
Though I used to deny it, I love the tedious hair curling, the horribly fake English accents, and the oh-so-uncomfortable character shoes. But honestly, theater is so much more than that! Oh but I sure as hell do not have the credibility to explain what theater itself really is (a medium of language, YES Mr. Athas).
But my favorite part of every theatrical experience I have had is the community of friends I build through the process.

I am in a British comedy right now, Charley's Aunt at my high school. The show was written in the 1800's and has STILL survived in this sexting-and-twitter-filled day and age. I've made some remarkable friendships in the three short months that we've worked on the show. The special bond made in a cast is a truly extraordinary thing. I have my best friends, my friend-friends, my school friends, my acquaintances--none of these relationships are similar to those made in a cast.
I see these people almost every day. I have to work intimately with these people. When acting on stage with some one, there are special bonds formed. It's one of those you-have-to-be-there situations. I definitely don't share as much of my life with my theater friends as I do my best friends, but I still feel as though my theater friends have a very special part of me. We understand each other. One principal aspect of my personality is my love of performing. I love being around theatrical people because they share that love.

Now all of this is fine and good on paper, but sometimes it makes you wonder--Would I ever have anything in common with these people outside of acting? What would we talk about if we weren't in a show together?
Well I have these feelings all the time as well. That does tend to happen doesn't it. You make friends at summer camp. You quickly realize that all you can comfortably talk about with your friends from summer camp is..summer camp. But I was proven wrong the other night when we took a cast trip to IHOP after opening the show.

A picture is a thousand words and..well..let's just say this one sums up my mood that evening
Photobucket

Talking. Laughing. Sharing. It was a perfect night! I went home that evening feeling so content with my life.
That night was just a continuation of the blissful state that this show has put me in. We went on a field trip on Wednesday, followed by our preview show. Ever since that fabulous day I have been in another world. I'm very studious and always work hard in school, but this is the first time that I've simply forgotten that I even go to school. This play and this cast has become my life--and I love it!

Maybe I'm having this reaction because I've always been a sucker for familial bonding. It sounds sappy, but I really enjoy the feeling of community and family. I've never been a sports enthusiast (you should see me play basketball..or anything for that matter), so I don't get the benefits of being on a team. I'm in a band, that is a tightly knit family for sure. But there is something about being in a bigger group of people and still feeling the closeness you feel with your two best friends.

It makes me melt, I'm melting if you couldn't tell.

I'll probably write more about this wonderful group of people and my crazy experiences as a theater kid. But to close this post I will show you my Theater Kid Victory Picture

Summing up my attitude toward theater and my cast:
Photobucket

P.S. Notice the thick, goopey, theater make-up

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment