Wednesday, May 26, 2010

On Superhuman Fashion Trends and Purely Human Habits

As I revel in my excitement for the upcoming summer season, and effectively procrastinate instead of study for my final exams, I re-download one of my favorite Internet resources--Stumbleupon.

For anyone not familiar, I highly recommend going to stumbleupon.com and learning about the Internet navigation tool that guides you to websites of interest based on a checklist you fill out with your fascinations.

Anyway, it was through Stumble that I found my fashion topic for this post--Fashion turned comic book.
Photobucket

My jaw just about dropped when I scrolled down to see what countless top notch designers are calling a new "Superhero Exhibit". These futuristic, indulgent pieces have been worked into the runway shows of none other than Alexander McQueen, Dolce & Gabbana, and more. I try to be as objective as possible in these posts because I'm more likely to get readers by selling a majority-friendly product, bias-free and short of one-sided rants. However, I'll just throw it out there and say that these ideas are laughable, if anything, and shouldn't be taken seriously. I scoff at people that mock couture, the stuff of real runway shows, but I have absolutely no problem with anyone that wants to point and laugh at the spectacles these designers are making of themselves.

I invite you to gaze upon the medieval armor, Star Wars C3-P0 reminiscent "fashion pieces" that are included in some of these collections
Photobucket

I will say that my source gives most credit to the Costume Institute (located in New York, I will assume). I will hold my tongue for the moment, as most of these ensembles will likely remain costumes. But if I open my next Vogue to see a spread about Christian Dior's new Superhero Collection..I will keel someone.

On a completely different note, I stumbled upon a provocative picture this afternoon that I decided to include as general food for thought.
Photobucket

A popular publisher, Tank Books began selling esteemed classic works of fiction in a variety of imitation cigarette cartons. Works of Ernest Hemingway, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Rudyard Kipling have been chosen as guinea pigs for this eccentric sales tactic.

While I laughed when I first saw the picture, assuming that a literary dork just got creative one day, I then turned my attention to the source--The New Yorker.
This "cute idea" is really meant for a bigger purpose. Apparently the idea stemmed from the widespread belief that far too many Americans smoke--shocker! However, this clever idea is meant to deter smokers from puffing and encourage a more fruitful hobby, reading!
The author muses that she has many friends that are smokers, all of them writers. She doesn't generalize, but merely offers the idea that, given a good enough book, maybe people would put down their cigarettes. Those must be pretty good books!

What is your opinion? Is quitting smoking a more internal struggle, therefore more difficult than this article assumes? Could Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde scare someone silly enough to throw away their Marborro's?

GIVE ME YOUR OPINION, NOW!

:D

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39KhykdSEs4

    ReplyDelete