Monday, April 26, 2010

It's Finally Time For the Kurt-Meister

So my typically regular post is coming a day late this week mainly for one reason--I got into Dallas last night at about midnight from an exhausting, wonderful, and at times TOO informational trip to New York for collegiate reasons. Suffice it to say that I was exhausted before, during, and now after said trip. Alas, I trudge on with what I know is vital information to you all! (I love sweet sarcasm late at night when no one has the energy for real jokes)

I plowed through another book last week, one that had been on my list for a very long time. I finally read Cat's Cradle from cover to cover and, upon my first Vonnegut experience, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Photobucket
Cat's Cradle was my literary pick of the week last week as an extension of my anticipation to finally read such a classic. Cat's Cradle is Vonnegut's satirical take on the current state of man in all of his blunders, the "powers that be" in all parts of the world, and the religious world at large.
In the first pages of the book, Vonnegut comes clean with his famous disclaimer stating that if the reader does not believe that a religion can be founded on a basis of lies, this book is not for them.
With one of the most eccentric minds in literature, Vonnegut details the quest of a young writer trying to compile information to write a novel titled The End of the World.
A Cornell graduate, the narrator goes to great lengths to interview relatives and colleagues of the late Dr. Felix Hoenikker, the creator of the infamous atom bomb.
The story gathers momentum as Vonnegut takes readers to the tropical land of San Lorenzo Island as the young writer continues his trek to finish his story.
My thought process went something like this with every passing chapter (chapters occur at every 1/3 of a page)--"How much imagination can one satirical writer fit into a story?"
Cat's Cradle isn't fantasy or science fiction, though it hoards all the imagination of a three year old pretending to be Superman.
And thus, Cat's Cradle grabbed me from the start with its quick pace and surprising outcome. It doesn't hurt that Kurt Vonnegut is one of the most interesting black humorists of all time.
Photobucket
Need I say more?


While I was in New York City specifically, I made sure to take notes on the street fashion every second I was outside. I must say, New Yorkers certainly have their trademarks down to a system with lots of darker tones, tailored overcoats, and lots and lots of boots.
However, I'll leave you tonight with some pictures I stole from a blog I follow StyleSightings. Though the theme is circular sunglasses, I think the majority of the pieces featured in the post are characteristic of New York street fashion.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment