Tuesday, March 9, 2010

His Name is Bob

Photobucket
Bob Crawford


God. Is it any surprise that sometimes I gawk at the audacity of humans? What in the world made all of us so damn cynical and uppity. How many precious airs can we put on until we become just that: dead air. No soul. Not a solitary reason in the world to point fingers and terrorize as we so often do.
This out pour of mine is a direct result of the news I came across today. I live in Dallas, Texas; it is home to somewhat of a music scene in Deep Ellum. Anyone that has spent more than a minute in that wing of town knows what I mean when I mention "that little guy with the keyboard". Some may not know him by his name (Bob, by the way). Most know him because he is a seemingly "off" older man that is never spotted without his small keyboard in his hands.
I came across the website for a documentary that local film makers have created about the story of this man's life. When I saw him at Club Dada or the State Fair, I had no idea that he is a slightly retarded savant whose mental deficiencies are a result of heinous abuse from his family members at a young age.
This man's story is incredible and there is nothing that gives me more hope for humanity than when I see other human beings caring for a social "misfit". I am inspired, touched, extremely angered, yet, oddly hopeful upon hearing this man's story.
His mental health was put in danger when his mother took so kindly to whacking him with a bat when he was in trouble or dropping him on his head multiple times as a baby.
As for now, Bob is a visionary. People that have met him will never forget him and often say that they feel he is an angel. Now please, for the love of *Oh shit the G word!* people, please save the rolling of eyes for your parents or YOUR blogs. This man is a sign that people can live while defying all odds.

The link to more information on this poignant documentary, His Name is Bob, is included below.

http://hisnameisbob.com/index1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment